Spinning project #1

Technically this isn’t my very first spinning project, as whilst I was waiting for my fibre to arrive I tried out the Turkish spindle with a tiny 3g sample of BFL/camel blend that I’d received from Hilltop Cloud when I bought a nostepinne. It was enough to allow me to get the gist of the process, but too little to make anything useful. I ended up with a mere three yards of very uneven 2-ply yarn:

first_yarn

Still, it was fun to do, so as soon as my lovely new tops arrived I set to work!

I had ordered four 100g batches: an organic Polwarth in white, a Blueface Exmoor (BFL/Exmoor hybrid breed), also in white, and two Merino d’Arles in different shades of natural brown. I decided to start with the Blueface Exmoor, as I love BFL and the longer staple makes it easier for a beginning spinner.

First I unrolled the ball of top and broke it onto four equal lengths of about 25g each. I rolled up three of these and put them back into the bag they had come in (with the label), keeping the remaining piece for my first session.

I tried spinning from the full piece, but it was too thick so I ended up dividing it lengthwise into thin strips that I could easily draft from. So far my progress hasn’t been much better than the picture above (though I haven’t plied it yet so it’s hard to tell), but I’m gradually getting the hang of it and will post more photos as I go on.